Sunday, September 28, 2008

Emotional Design

1.  Donald Norman had three main points in his article: Visceral, Behavioral and Reflective Design.  Visceral Design describes the emotion one feels when they see something and want to buy it.  People have a predetermined idea of what they perceive as good looking or cool.  Behavioral Design illustrates the usability of an item and how well it performs.  Reflective Design is about the meaning of an item and the feelings it evokes from a self-image stand point.

2.  "Emotional Design," as opposed to Norman's previous article "The Design of Everyday Things," touches more upon why consumers feel a certain way towards a product.  This article informs the reader about different emotional factors one may feel towards a product, while Norman's previous article talks about reasons customers have trouble using products.

3.  1) The poster in my room of "Fight Club" is an example of Visceral Design because when I saw the poster at the poster sale it caught my eye and I had a predetermined mindset that the movie "Fight Club" was cool.  Visceral Design is significant because from the very first time we see a product, we have an almost predetermined opinion of it.
     2) My MacBook is an example of Behavioral Design because I bought it for its high performance and usability.  Behavioral Design is important because when consumers have a positive experience with a product while they have it, they are more likely to buy a product from that same company again.
     3) My Levi Jeans describe Reflective Design because of the self-image I have when I wear them.  When I wear them I like the way they I look and feel.  Reflective Design is important because everybody cares about their self-image and it is important for products to showcase a positive self-image for the consumer that owns it.  

No comments: