Thursday, October 30, 2008

1.  Gibbs has many different criteria for evaluating a Main Street: the visibility of police or security, adjusting objects that may encourage loitering, cleanliness, clothing stores never next to restaurants, clothing stores never on the north side and restaurants never on the west side.

2.  I think Main Street should have some similar aspects with that of a mall.  I do think Main Street should be filled with shops and stores and I do think Main Street should take into account design techniques similar to that of malls listed above.  When I think of a downtown, I think of tradition and old buildings crammed together and for some reason I like that feel.  I think downtown's should preserve their early American roots and remain the jumbled up bliss they've always had.

3.  My own checklist to judge a Main Street would be: cleanliness, preservation of old traditions, an almost cluttered feeling with hilly and uneven land, easy access to parking and design technique's listed in question in regards to location of stores and restaurants.  The most important aspect in my opinion is the preservation of a downtown's original identity and tradition.  

No comments: