Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Wednesday October 8th

1.  For the majority of people, Visceral Design should be complex because a product will appear to have the most features.  Behavioral Design should be the most simple because products should be easy to use.  Reflective Design should be either complex or simple depending on what the user is trying to convey.  It really depends on the consumer.  Some might want their TV to look really complex, others might want a bike that is really easy to use.

2. "I remember buying my phone because the features that it had looked very cool; it's feature included having two sides (One the actual the phone and the other the media part) . The phone just looked much than the ones that were being offered. All the other phones seemed boring compared to the one I purchased." (Ted) The most recent example that comes to mind is when I purchased my cell phone. I bought the new voyageur, which I do like, but it has many features that I simply do not need or use. First, and the main reason I purchased this phone was because it has a touch screen. This may seem sensible at first, but when I really think about it, it creates more of a problem than making things easier. I have to constantly put on screen-lock as any touch in my pocket does something unwanted. Not only this, but it also is more difficult to use than a regular keyboard. Aside from the touch screen, there are many unused features such as mobile television. I will never want or be able to pay for it. Both of these are good examples of how the features at the beginning seemed “cool” or “new” but came to be more of a problem than anything. (Jeff)

Both Ted and Jeff (And me too with my first cell phone) bought their respective cell phones based on complex Visceral Design.  This supports the claim that with most products, the ones that appear to be the most complex are the most bought.   

No comments: